Thursday, December 31, 2009
2010, Let the list's begin!
For the past few years I have made a list of at least 5 things that I want to learn within that year. For the most part I am able to check my list off and add knowledge to my character. It's been great and its an awesome way to stay fresh and keep learning.
Last year I wanted to learn more about birth work so I started studying and became a birth doula. A doula is a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a mother before, during and just after birth. The most rewarding thing about this work is helping new moms and giving them a sense of security and comfort. I attended to about 6 births from Jan. to June each different and each special. For 2010 I plan on volunteering more of my time, especially working with those under served. Some might ask why? Well I think it's a wonderful balance to the demanding job of agency life and believe it or not it's very creative! Visit me at Nurturing Doula to learn more.
So what's on the list for 2010? OK, I'm putting this out to the universe and you!
1. Spanish (know more than the just the bad words)
2. Flash (animation)
3. Doing more with this blog (downloads, etc)
4. Learn to stand on my head ( I do yoga about 4x's a week and still haven't managed it without a wall behind me)
5. Knit a shawl
Last year's list:
1. Drumming (I recommend this to everyone, or some kind of instrument)
2. Doula work ( I wanted to be one over 10 years ago, so it's never to late to start)
3. Social art endeavors ( joined a few moly groups on flickr, it was great I wish I had more time to do them, I met some wonderfully talented and very nice people)
( Yeah those last 2 are big maybe they shouldn't be together we'll see!)
Happy New Year everyone I hope you can check off your list too!
If not you can always use post-it notes to make art like these folks they're good for more than just lists!
Need a little more inspiration or a gadget to get it done? There was also a post written awhile back with some other great resources.